domingo, novembro 05, 2006

Phase method of writing

"The phase-outline for that particular novel ran about 14,000 words long. I can see many of you wincing. An outline that long?"

"Okay, so what exactly is this method?"


"Phases are written out as key phrases that will bring the next set of lines -- the next action -- into focus. This is not a scene-by-scene outline, but something worked out in much shorter sections. A phase can be clues to dialogue, if that's what the section's focus is centered around, or it might be a little bit of description, or a set of actions... anything that will make the story move another few hundred words. Usually a 'phase' will only run from twenty to fifty words in the outline. For instance, as an example from Gathering (Book 7 of the Dark Staff series -- and this is first draft with only a little touch up):

1. Tristan in the room aboard the ship, resting, thinking about going home, feeling the world changing. It feels like traveling between realities, without any of the work. (28 words)" [Que resultou, escrito, em 222 palavras.]

"You'll note (in all but the PDA version of this issue) that the color changed when I went to a new phase. This is to help with the word-counting part of the write. I look at what I think the novel's length should be and try to work within those parameters. For instance, a young adult mystery might only run 60,000 words. If I have 300 phases written out, then I only need 200 words per phase.

On the other hand, if I'm writing a space opera, I know that I'll likely need the final word count to be at least 125,000 words. If I've only written out 300 phases, that would mean about 417 words per phase. In a case like that, I would likely go back through the phases and start looking for areas to expand. If I can add another 100 phases, then I only need 312 or so words per phase. If I can get the number of phases up to 500, then I only need 250 words per phase."

"I also use the automatic numbering system in Microsoft Word to see how many phases I have. As I add a phase in earlier, it will automatically renumber the rest."

"When you write out a phase, get key words and actions into the line. Then let your mind flow to where the character/story would go next. Write it out. If it doesn't work, erase it and try again. If you have a snippet of dialogue, drop it into the phase and copy it out again when you get to that part of the story. The same with descriptions, ideas... get them in there, and work with them."

[Isto é basicamente o que eu faço embora não de uma maneira tão estruturada. Digamos que as minhas fases se ficam pelos 50 pontos. Às vezes menos. Hummmmm... tentar este método.]

"When I work in phases like this, all I'm concerned about is the story's movement forward, and the crisis points. It helps, in fact, to write down what you think will be the turning points of the story before you start the outline. Yes, think that far ahead. Where does the story start? What major conflict do you imagine? Where will it end? These are things anyone starting a novel should at least consider in passing before they start."

"Once you start writing, don't stop and second-guess your outline. You might rewrite sections of it during novel editing, but right now you have this story to write, not the one your mind starts playing with as soon as you commit to writing."

"You might -- as I have from time to time -- find that some phases need to be cut, or others need to be added in. Do it. Don't worry about it. What looks clear-cut during the outlining phases sometimes shows a few holes later. Adding and subtracting is fine in limitation. Just don't rewrite what you have.

I also divide the phases up by days to give myself a set number to do. I list everything out in a Microsoft Excel worksheet (see below). I've always worked well with goals (which is why phases and their word count numbers work so well for me), so I decide how many phases I want to do on any given day. Ten phases of 200 words each is 2000 words. It can go very quickly that way. Don't overload yourself, though. I've found that nothing will make a story feel like work faster than telling yourself you have to go write a certain number of words when you don't want to. If you don't make your goal one day, there's always the next."

"A couple years ago I never wrote with an outline. Today I find myself as anxious to start a new outline as I am to start a new book. You never know when you might find something new that works for you."
[Está a acontecer-me o mesmo...]

Ups. Copiei quase o artigo todo, lol.

No nano tenho: 10771 palavras.

Sem comentários: