sexta-feira, abril 06, 2007

The way it works for you

"So they’re probably surprised when I stand up at the lectern and tell them that
I write my books an entirely different way. I have no idea where my story will
take me when I sit down to write the first page. I don’t do character sketches
and I don’t do outlines. I’m forced to come up with a three-page synopsis for my
editor (just so my publisher can start planning the cover design) but more often
than not, my final story will end up completely different from the one I
promised. If this sounds like a chaotic way to write a book, it is. It means I
write myself into corners. It means characters will suddenly transform into
other people halfway through the first draft. It means I spend many sleepless
nights trying to figure out how to fix a story that’s gone off the rails. It
means I may suffer from weeks and weeks of writer’s block. It means I spend
months on the re-writes. But it’s the only way I’ve ever been able to write my
books, and even though I wish I could do it Michael’s way, I find that I just
can’t write an outline. Or, if I do, the book turns out different anyway."

"After twenty years of writing, I think the best advice I can give a new novelist is this: find the method that’s comfortable for you, and use it. And don’t apologize. "



Fonte

Sem comentários: